Friday, September 11, 2009

Vintage Toulouse

I had time for a little trip into Toulouse yesterday afternoon.Having had an incidental trip on the Metro at the weekend, I decided to go to the Park and Ride and go in the environmentally friendly way...
I arrived, underground, and walked up into the city via this charming exit.
Out into a main square of the city...
... where this sculpture by a famous Toulouse artist has central place.
I don't think the photo above did it justice - here she is again.
A quick walk through the Capitole building led me into the very central square.
My first goal was to get some school stationery and some presents in this bookshop.
After the practical stuff, I had a quick look in secondhand clothes shops,
and vintage shops...
The door at the top of the post belonged to this beautiful shop which seems to sell vintage-style stationery, but was unfortunately shut both times I went past! One to remember...
I bought two presents for Son 2's friend, with whom he's spending a Birthday Weekend (starting tonight). Inside the wrappings are a bug catching and observation kit, and a book about nature for older children. I hope his mum is OK about bugs!
In the bookshop I bought these presents for Son 1's manga-obsessed friend - the party is tomorrow afternoon.
I enjoyed the trip, and hope I make the effort to get into the city centre more often - it's hardly difficult but somehow I seldom do it!
f
Have a great weekend - I have no idea how much time I'll have for blogging, so I may not 'see' you all until Monday!

16 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Floss
If only all trips to the city were as pretty as that!
Hope the weekend goes well.
Sarah

Elizabethd said...

Lovely Toulouse.
And manga is...??? Or am I in the wrong age group??

Unknown said...

What a beautiful city! It must be wonderful to have it so close, although, I know sometimes we don't visit places as often as we would like. Love the statue! Suzie. xxx

Pomona said...

That blue door is so beautiful and so tantalising! Hope you get through it one day! French shops just look so more exciting in general.

Pomona x

Teena Vallerine said...

Beautiful sculture! Who is the artist?! t.x

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Pretty place to shop. Have a great weekend.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

What a beautiful city! Love the mother with her baby. Hope you get back to the stationery shop soon as I'm dying to have a looksie myself!! Hope you enjoy a quiet weekend with the boys at parties. Have you got something nice planned?

Jeannette StG said...

Always wanted to go to Toulouse and Nice, and never got to it! We did spend a week in Geneve though, and a few days in Paris (the latter city my kids did not like, LOL, because for some reason we only met the snobbish people there).
I LOVE the statue of mother and child - thanks for sharing your trip!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

I need to hope across the channel for Toulouse!

I hope you're enjoying your weekend,

Victoria xx

BadPenny said...

That blue door in the first pic is stunning !

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Bonsoir Floss
I enjoyed the trip around Toulouse. I have not been there before it looks like somewhere worth a visit. I love the ornate blue door, so French!
Isabelle x

Heart in the country said...

Thank you for dropping by my blog. Toulouse looks like a lovely town, it looks like you had a fabulous day.

Lucy Pursglove-Jones said...

So pretty are your pictures. I adore the No. 9 door, it's gorgeous! :) x

Lululiz said...

Looks like you had a very successful shopping trip. How frustrating though that the lovely stationary shop was closed. If the shop front, including that lovely door is anything to go by, then one could probably spend a lot of time in there.

Jeannette said...

Yaaah for finding the enamel jug! ;)
And Toulouse looks like the kind of city I would love to visit.
Now I have to make me some coffee to read the rest of your posts to see what I have missed...you have been quite busy the weeks I was away! ;)
♥ Jeannette

Cal said...

Thank you for that trip into Toulouse. I'd never been before. And the door is great. Hope you have a good week.
xxx