Friday, April 2, 2010

One a penny, two a penny...

Here is our Good Friday breakfast - apparantly, this is the traditional time to start on your Hot Cross Buns, although we did try a few before the big day...
So, I made my HCBs and they are appreciated in the family and are going to be part of a traditional Good Friday meal that we're sharing with friends tonight (Penny is cooking fish, of course...) I'll try to answer the questions you asked on my post about the dough the other night:
j
They are not hard to make but not that simple - if you've made bread before you could easily do it, but it's a bit time-consuming.
j
Yes, they do need yeast, which is very entertaining but also the time-consuming part.
j
And an interesting fact - the ancient Romans made these, and the four quarters symbolised the four seasons. It's intriguing to see how relevant they became in Christian countries, later on...
My recipe tells me to put the crosses on as rolled out pastry, but I have another which suggests piping on a watery pastry mix - it's never worked for me. Any advice?
Here is our Easter Garden this year - the 'stone' is in front of the tomb, from today until Easter morning. I find the symbolism very powerful. You'll find my children's post for Good Friday below, with some more Easter Garden photos.

14 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

I made HCB last night and we all had them for breakfast, a couple of tips on the crosses, score underneath, flour and water, but very thick or a cross of marzipan, which the mini mads really like.

Happy Easter Floss and Family from the MadHouse

Anonymous said...

the buns look beautiful! i must admit i 'tested' a couple before the day too.
my daughter has requested an indian style meal tonight. curry on Good Friday?! (we are vegetarian so it won't have any meat)
i hope you have a lovely evening. i very much like the table display, i have been very inspired by your blog this Lent.

warmest Easter wishes xxx

sumea

melanie said...

Lovely post Floss. xxx

Fabulously French said...

I made some this week using flour and water to make the crosses and they turned out well.

Joyeux Paques,

Leeann x

Kissed by an Angel said...

The HCBs look gorgeous!! I have eaten one today, as it is Good Friday!! When I was a child, my Mum always bought HCBs today and it was the only day we had them. Not like now, available from February!!!
Happy Easter to you.
xxxx

Michela said...

It sounds quite incredible how those pagan cakes have turned their meaning!
We use to eat a Easter cake shaped like a dove (which sometimes can become a lamb, but only for commercial purposes!)
Congrats to your boys for their displays and a very happy Easter to you all! xxx

Dawn said...

They look delicious - I'm afrid ours came from a shop. I had good intentions to make them, but sadly not the ingredients!

Sherri B. said...

Looks yummy. I have a friend who makes these every year and she made a powdered sugar frosting and just drizzled the thin frosting in a cross over the bun Also I do believe she slashed the dough in a cross mark before baking, they looked beautiful and tasted great. Have a happy Easter.

Lola Nova said...

What lovely hot cross buns! I have been reading and enjoying all of your posts of late. Happy Easter.

Ange said...

Well done you! Haven't tried them myself as I keep forgetting to buy yeast. Pity - I wouldn't mind eating a couple ;-) Love your kids' post below too. Happy Easter Floss!

magsmcc said...

Fabulous. It's all fabulous.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I made hot cross buns today too! After seeing you make them I couldn't not myself. Are yours quite solid and not light and fluffy? They sure smelt good.

Duchess of Tea said...

Darling popped in to wish you and your family a joyous and blessed Easter.

Love & Hugs
Duchess

Hannah VanderHart said...

Ooh---pastry and marzipan crosses! How lovely!

My mom would pipe a confectioner sugar icing on top.

Someday when I have children, I want to make hot cross buns for Easter morning--that's when we usually had them?

Reminds me of the comment CS Lewis makes in his book Reflections on the Psalms: the little boy overheard in church, singing his own poem to himself, "chocolate eggs and Jesus has risen!" Lewis says his piety and joy were both right-on. :)

blessings for your family's Easter!