Thursday, July 21, 2011

A little brocante dilemma

I haven't done a set-up photo for you for ages, but I was inspired to get out examples of all my 20th century French stencilled china today! It really is kind of super, isn't it? (she asked modestly...)You'll recognise bowls and the red-rimmed plates I got on Tuesday at the brocante sale. I felt like laying it all out and gloating a bit!But I have to be honest - the lovely little red-stencilled bowl you see at the back of the photo above looks like THIS inside:
Eech! I've soaked it in bleach, which I hate doing, and that tidied up the base, but the rim and the inside remain horrible and clearly this bowl remains for display use only. I'm OK with that... So now on to the dilemma!
Here you see one of my bowls with a lovely photo of the mosaic artist Cleo Mussi's studio wall. She buys plates like mine and uses them as inspiration. See her kind of chequered plates? There were loads a bit like that at the brocante. I left them all behind, but ever since I've been thinking back to them and wondering if I should head over again and snap them up. They are red, cream and blue, which would work with my 'set', but otherwise they're not really the sort of thing I'm collecting. Do I just want them because I've seen them in Homes and Antiques? Or would I actually be pleased to own them? You see my dilemma - do I really want them or am I just suffering from magazine-induced envy?

13 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

I rather suspect the latter Floss! Those photos take hours to set up and the stylists know just how to make it all look stunning and then we want to have/do the same. I'd say if you really can't live without them then by all means go ahead but to want something because someone else has something like it - well that way madness lies!! I love your collection and it doesn't matter at all if they are not all perfect and one needs a few pieces to use as vases or to display filled with this or that doesn't one anyway!

Sorry if that wasn't what you wanted to hear but you did ask didn't you?!

polkadotpeticoat said...

I want them to now....they are so beautiful.

VintageVicki said...

Only get them if they are something you really want. TBH I prefer the flowery plates to the checked ones - to me they are more french :)

Serenata said...

Magazine induced envy I would imagine Floss. You passed them by the first time, go with your gut instinct. ;-)

Jane and Chris said...

If you are not sure....I think you just answered your own question!
Jane x

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Oh my dear Floss, you know the answer to this already. You must only collect what you love and you do not love those checked plates. Magazines are only for inspiration and envy. Go with your heart on this one. And good luck hanging them on the wall!

Lorrie said...

Your collection of plates is lovely, and the flowers reflect who YOU are.

Sherri B. said...

I agree with the others, you should only collect that which speaks to you, even if it might not make sense to anyone else. The collection that you have now is just lovely and I see several that look like what I call restaurant ware. I would be thrilled to have any of those pretty dishes on my table.

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think if something is right you snap it up straight away and if you can walk away, then it wasn't for you. Your collection is beautiful. Maybe you should have bought the others for your online business?

BusyLizzie said...

Love your collection. I have quite a few similar. As for the checked one, i would say "go for it" ! Lizzie x

Sue said...

Tricky one, the magazines do make everything look so attractive. If you really think you will use them then you should get them. If you find you don't then use them pop them in the shop! Have to say florals are my favourite though.

Carole said...

I would say this is a very clear case of magazine-induced envy. I know the feeling... Now if you can't stop thinking about them, do something about it, but when you feel the first pangs of remorse, get rid of them !
I would just add that in her book (which has become my reference now) L'Art de l'Essentiel, Dominique Loreau says that you should acquire things because YOU TRULY love them, not because some celebrity has the same.

Angela said...

Be strong ! Do not let the magazines get into your head! The stuff you have is lovely.