Saturday, May 19, 2012

Why I'll be celebrating the Jubilee - Part 2

It's been fun to read your comments on my first Jubilee post - like Vicki, I celebrated with the Armed Forces in 1977, like Autumn Mist I waited for the Queen in my Browine Uniform that year, like Dormouse, I watched Charles and Diana's wedding (and made a great scrapbook of all the cuttings, too!) and like Polkadot Petticoat I have celebrated July 4th - in the Bicentennial year, in fact! I love thinking of us all celebrating in our own ways but joining up here on the net to remember it all.
However, I was not in the mood at all for celebrations in 2002, the year of the Golden Jubilee. I felt quite unconvinced by the role of the Royal Family in a modern Britain. As you can see, our boys made up for my lack of enthusiasm! And I did let them dress up and wave flags, of course I did...
Ben's mum gave the boys a commemorative mug each, and I really wondered why on earth anyone would want one. Son 1 got a commemorative resin teddy figure with the 50 years crown on its chest - a gift from school. He quite quickly scratched the crown sticker off the bear, and I felt that summed it up - what was the point?
I think I'll leave you on this cliffhanger for now - how did I return from unconvinced nearly-Republican to cheerful flag-waver over the last 10 years? But if you have any similar experiences, or totally different ones, do share...

6 comments:

magsmcc said...

You should try thinking all that through in the context of Northern Ireland! Tricky! I think you moved to France and gained a whole new perspective on national identity!

Angela said...

I remember EXACTLY where I was when I heard on my car radio that Charles and Di were splitting up. I decided at that moment that I would no longer stand up for the National Anthem.

But like you, I will be celebrating the Jubilee. I DO like the Queen!

Carol said...

Ah well, if we had had a President, I can only say two words to you "Cherie Blair".
I can totally understand the views of those who think the wider Royal family should support themselves but I think the immediate family bring and give more to this country than they take. I was amazed to hear yesterday that support for the Royal family in the 18-25 year age group is 75%! Now I know my age group are usually supporters but often the young are sceptical. I think we can thank William and Kate and their wedding for this young support. They have made the Royal family more relevant.
Carol xx

catkin tales said...

oh dear! i think britain is a place to be both proud and ashamed of in different ways. a very spotted history indeed. but i still can't help having a soft spot for the royal family, most especially the corgi's ;) was very fond of the queen mum too and even had my hand shaken by hers on one occasion, she was tiny, i remember. as was her daughter who also shook my hand. i thought they were both very sweet and even twinkly (although i think they had both been sipping champagne).
william and kate seem like a nice couple. there is a steadiness about them and a sense of humanity too. yes, i quite like the royals. i shall be waving my flag and drinking rather a lot of celebration tea :)
floss, you have such interesting posts. i do like it here, even though you are such a tease keeping us in suspense ;)

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think the Royals do a lot for tourism but hold far too much wealth. I do particularly like Prince Harry. I once worked for someone whose son was friends with Harry and had him home a few times (amidst much security) when he was a little lad. Both the princes are likeable because they are real people I think. The Queen has given her whole life to her duty and deserves my loyalty too I think.

polkadotpeticoat said...

I wonder what we would com[pare this to over here?
Sounds exciting!